Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Chickens, Children, and The Call to Prayer

Chickens, children, and the call to prayer.  These are the reasons I can't sleep. Nope, it's not because of deep philosophical matters. Just the practical. The call to prayer is trumpeted from Islamic mosques five times a day.  There is a mosque just down the street from my apartment which has provided me with a piercing education that one of these calls happens at dawn. Every morning. Recently, however, I have stopped waking up to the call and continue sleeping.  My neighbours next door have children, children who wake up fairly early on Saturday mornings.  I believe their favourite past time is to yell.  Their favourite word is "Askari."  It is not unusual for them to yell this one word for a half hour straight.  Other times they mix it up and yell out a song. Thankfully, with the heat of summer approaching, the kids have been retreating to the indoors.  There is no happy news about the final noise offender - the chicken.  Two weeks ago this rooster wandered into my neighbourhood.  I guess he decided to call it home, because he never left.  Every morning at 4:30am he will make his way under my window, and let out a loud cock-a-doodle-doo. He is a defective rooster because he forgets to stop cock-a-doodle-dooing. He continues all day long.  So if anybody knows a discrete way to get rid of a rooster...

No comments:

Post a Comment